- Line an 8x4x2-inch loaf pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter the foil; set pan aside.
- Butter side of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. Combine granulated sugar, brown sugar, and half-and-half or light cream in saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils. Clip a candy thermometer to side of pan. Reduce heat to medium-low; continue boiling at a moderate, steady rate, stirring frequently, until thermometer registers 236 degrees F, soft-ball stage (about 15 minutes). Adjust the heat as necessary to maintain a steady boil.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Add butter and vanilla, but do not stir. Cool mixture, without stirring, to 110 degrees F (about 40 minutes).
- Remove thermometer from saucepan. Beat mixture vigorously with a clean wooden spoon until fudge just begins to thicken. Add nuts. Continue beating until fudge becomes thick and just starts to lose its gloss (about 10 minutes total).
- Spread fudge immediately into the prepared pan. Score into squares while warm. When fudge is firm, use foil to lift it out of pan. Cut fudge into squares. Store in a tightly covered container. Makes about 1-1/4 pounds (32 servings).
Nutrition Facts (Caramel-Pecan Fudge)
- Per serving:
- 75 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 4 mg chol.,
- 13 mg sodium,
- 13 g carb.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet