Here's the best caramel corn we've ever tasted! Make extra to keep as snacks to share with family and drop-in guests.
- Remove all unpopped kernels from popcorn. Lightly coat a roasting pan with nonstick cooking spray. Combine popcorn and nuts in the prepared pan; keep warm in 300 degree F oven.
- In a 2-quart saucepan combine brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup. Bring to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly (about 12 minutes). Cook and stir for 5 minutes more. Remove from heat; stir in baking soda (the mixture will foam).
- Pour caramel mixture over popcorn-nut mixture in prepared pan; stir gently to coat.
- Bake in a 300 degree F oven for 15 minutes. Stir popcorn mixture. Bake for 5 minutes more. Remove from oven. Spread on a large piece of foil to cool. Break apart to serve. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. Makes about 15 cups mixture (thirty, 1/2-cup servings).
From the Test Kitchen
To Present This As A Gift:
You will need felt in 3 colors; pinking shears; thread; needle; thick white crafts glue; 2 large buttons; brown gift bag with handles; suede cord in 3 colors; pony bead; 4 large paper clips; and parchment paper,waxed paper, or plastic wrap.
Using gold felt for the base color, cut a rectangle 1/4-inch smaller than the bag front. Trim the bottom to a point. Cut the second felt color (blue) 1/2-inch smaller than the base color. Cut a diamond shape from the remaining piece of felt. Layer felt shapes and sew in the center. Glue around the edges, leaving the top of the blue felt shape open like a pocket. Sew a button to the center of the felt pieces and at the point. Glue onto the bag front. Cut a length of cord to fit around the bottom button, leaving 2-inch tails. Slip tails through a pony bead. Wrap the handles with suede cord, gluing the ends to secure. Use a paper clip to hold each end in place until the glue dries. Remove paper clips. Line bag with parchment paper, waxed paper, or plastic wrap.
Also Try This:
Use heavy colored paper instead of felt to embellish the bag.
Nutrition Facts (Caramel-Nut Corn)
- Per serving:
- 134 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 13 mg chol.,
- 102 mg sodium,
- 15 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet