- Prepare Honey-Vanilla Caramels. Meanwhile, using an oiled knife, cut each marshmallow in half crosswise. Arrange marshmallows very tightly together, cut side down, on top of warm caramel (caramel should be warm enough to soften marshmallows). Let set 2 to 3 hours, until caramel is cool and firm.
- Lift liner to remove caramel to cutting board. Using a long, oiled knife, cut between marshmallows, through caramel, to make square pieces. As you work, transfer pieces to a tray lined with waxed paper, leaving space between each to prevent sticking. Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Place large cooling rack over sheet of waxed paper. Melt chocolate (see below).
- Dip one caramel, marshmallow side down, into chocolate. Use dipping form or table fork to push candy beneath surface of chocolate, and turn marshmallow side up. Tap fork on edge of bowl several times and wipe bottom of fork against side of bowl to remove excess chocolate. Slide candy off fork onto prepared rack; repeat.
- Set tray in cool place until chocolate is set. store at cool room temperature, in an airtight container, up to 1 month. Makes 48 to 60 candies.
From the Test Kitchen
Place 1 lb. of the chopped chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on 30 percent power for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes or until chocolate has started to melt (110 degrees F). Add remaining chopped chocolate; stir until melted and smooth. (Temperature of chocolate will drop to about 85 degrees F). Reheat as needed for 10 seconds on 30 percent power (about 90 degrees F).
*Do not use chocolate chips.
- Line bottom and sides of 8x8x2-inch pan with parchment paper. Combine sugar, corn syrup, honey, and salt in heavy 3-quart saucepan. Cook, stirring, over medium heat, until mixture begins to simmer around edges. Using a wet pastry brush, lightly brush the sugar from inside sides of saucepan. Cover; continue to cook about 3 minutes. (Meanwhile rinse spatula or spoon before using again.) Uncover; brush sides again. Attach candy thermometer to side of saucepan (do not let it touch bottom). Cook, uncovered, without stirring until mixture reaches 308 degrees F (8 minutes). Meanwhile, in small saucepan bring whipping cream to a simmer; keep hot until needed. As soon as mixture reaches 308 degrees F, remove from heat. Immediately stir in butter. Using long-handled spatula gradually stir hot cream into caramel. (Be careful; mixture will foam up and steam.) Return to heat. Adjust heat so mixture boils but not too rapidly. Stir to be sure it is well blended and smooth. Continue to cook 22 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until temperature reaches 255 degrees F. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in vanilla. Immediately pour caramel into prepared pan.
- Per serving:
- 170 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- 16 mg chol.,
- 21 mg sodium,
- 23 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet