- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup half-and-half or light cream
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 cup tiny marshmallows
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1 1/2 cups vanilla caramels (about 34)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 1/2 pounds dipping chocolate or confectioners coating
1. Line an 8x8x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter the foil; set pan aside.
2. In a heavy 2-quart saucepan combine sugar, the 1/4 cup butter, and cream. Cook over medium heat to boiling, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. This should take about 8 minutes.
3. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over entire surface. Remove pan from heat. Add powdered sugar, marshmallows, and chocolate pieces; stir until well combined and chocolate is melted. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Cool 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a heavy 1-1/2-quart saucepan combine caramels, the 2 tablespoons butter, and milk. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until caramels are melted. Pour caramel mixture over chocolate layer in baking pan. Chill about 1 hour or until firm. When firm, use foil to lift candy out of pan. Invert candy so chocolate layer is on top. Cut into 2x1-inch rectangles.
5. Melt dipping chocolate or confectioners coating. Dip rectangles, one at a time, into melted chocolate. Let excess chocolate drip off rectangles. Place on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper until dry. Store tightly covered in a cool, dry place. Makes 32 candy bars.
- Up to 1 week ahead prepare candy bars. Store in the refrigerator in a tightly covered container.
- Servings Per Recipe 32,
- cal. (kcal) 234,
- Fat, total (g) 12,
- chol. (mg) 7,
- sat. fat (g) 8,
- carb. (g) 33,
- pro. (g) 1,
- vit. A (IU) 97,
- sodium (mg) 53,
- calcium (mg) 20,
- iron (mg) 0,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet