Candied Cherry Opera Fudge
- Line a 5-3/4x3x2-inch loaf pan with foil, extending foil over the edges of the pan. Butter the foil; set aside.
- Butter the sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. In the saucepan combine the sugar, milk, half-and-half, corn syrup and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a boil. Clip a candy thermometer to sides of pan.
- Continue boiling at a moderate, steady rate, stirring occasionally, until thermometer registers 236 degrees F, soft ball stage, (about 20 minutes). Adjust heat as necessary to maintain a steady boil.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Add butter and vanilla but do not stir. Cool, without stirring, to 170 degrees F (about 20 minutes). Remove thermometer from saucepan. Beat mixture vigorously with a wooden spoon for 5 minutes. Add 1/3 cup cherries. Beat mixture vigorously for 1 minute more. Pour into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Let stand until firm. Use foil to lift fudge from pan; remove foil. To serve, top with additional cherries. Cut fudge into thick slices. Makes 20 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Before making candy, always calibrate your thermometer by placing in boiling water. Adjust candy temperature depending on whether the water boils above or below 212 degrees F. We recommend the digital Williams-Sonoma Oil and Candy Thermometer. The digital read out makes cooking to the right temperature easy. http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/digital-oil-and-candy-thermometer/
Nutrition Facts(Candied Cherry Opera Fudge)
- Per serving:
- 108 kcal cal.,
- 1 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 4 mg chol.,
- 71 mg sodium,
- 24 g carb.,
- 22 g sugar
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet