Candied Ginger and Orange Icebox Cookies
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and the 1 tablespoon milk until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour, the crystallized ginger, and orange peel. If necessary, use your hands to knead dough until it comes together.
- Divide dough into three portions. On a lightly floured surface, shape each portion into a 7-inch roll. Spread coarse sugar on waxed paper. Roll each dough roll in coarse sugar to coat, pressing lightly as you roll (you won't use all of the sugar). If necessary, reshape rolls. Wrap each roll in waxed paper or plastic wrap. Chill for 2 to 3 hours or until dough is firm enough to slice.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut rolls into 1/4-inch slices. Place slices 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Brush lightly with additional milk and sprinkle with the remaining coarse sugar.
- Bake about 8 minutes or until edges are light brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Candied Ginger and Orange Icebox Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 43 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 0 g monounsatured fat),
- 7 mg chol.,
- 29 mg sodium,
- 7 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet