Wedding Cake Nests
To serve 50 guests, make one 10-inch cake and forty-eight 4-inch cakes. Youll have to make the cake and icing recipes five times and the frosting recipe twice.
- Makes: 12 servings
- Yields: one 10-inch cake or twelve 40-inch cakes
- Prep: 1 hr
- Cool: 2 hrs for 10-inch cake; 1 hour for 4-inch cakes
- Bake: 35 mins to 40 mins 350°F 10-inch cake; 18 to 20 minutes for 4-inch cakes
Wedding Cake Nests
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Grease and flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan or twelve 4-inch fluted tube pan molds. Set aside.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions, substituting champagne for the water. Spoon the batter into the 10-inch pan, or spoon about 1/2 cup batter into each of the 4-inch molds. (If you have only one pan of 4-inch molds, cover and chill remaining batter while the first batch bakes. Cool, wash, grease, and flour the molds before baking the second batch.)
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted near the centers comes out clean. (Allow 35 to 40 minutes for the 10-inch pan or 18 to 20 minutes for 4-inch molds.) Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out of pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Place cooled cake(s) on wire rack over waxed paper. Brush Champagne Icing over cakes to glaze. Let icing dry.
- To serve, fill center openings of cake(s) with Coconut Frosting. Sprinkle with additional coconut and decorate with white jelly beans and doves. Makes 1 10-inch cake (12 servings) or 12 4-inch cakes.
From the Test Kitchen
Place unbaked, unfrosted cake(s) and frosting in spearate airtight containers. Store at room temperature for up to 1 day. Glaze and frost cakes up to 4 hours before serving.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine powdered sugar, champagne, and vanilla. Stir in additional champagne, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make an icing of glazing consistency. Makes 1 cup.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat shortening, vanilla, and almond extract with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add 2-1/4 cups of the powdered sugar, beating until smooth. Beat in milk. Gradually beat in the additional 2-1/4 cups powdered sugar and enough milk (1 to 2 tablespoons more) to make a frosting of spreading consistency. Stir in shredded coconut. If desired, tint lightly with blue paste food coloring. Makes 3 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Wedding Cake Nests)
- Per serving:
- 710 kcal cal.,
- 29 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat,
- 312 mg sodium,
- 105 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet