Triple-Layer Lemon Cake
- Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease and lightly flour three 9 x 1-1/2-inch round cake pans. Combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, lemon peel, and lemon juice; beat until well combined. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each. Add flour mixture and buttermilk or sour milk alternately to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans. Cool thoroughly on wire racks.
- To assemble, place a cake layer on a cake plate. Spread with half of the Lemon Curd. Top with second layer; spread with the remaining Lemon Curd. Top with third layer. Frost top and sides with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting. Cover and store cake in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. If desired, garnish with lemon peel curls. Makes 12 servings.
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Finely shred lemon peel; set aside. In a medium mixing bowl combine cream cheese, butter, and 1 lemon juice; beat with electric mixer on low to medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add 2 cups sifted powdered sugar, beating well. Gradually beat in 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 cups additional powdered sugar until spreading consistency. Stir in the lemon peel.
Nutrition Facts (Triple-Layer Lemon Cake)
- Per serving:
- 730 kcal cal.,
- 36 g fat
- (22 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 11 g monounsatured fat),
- 199 mg chol.,
- 536 mg sodium,
- 96 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 73 g sugar,
- 8 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet