Tiramisu, a traditional Italian dessert, takes on a new form in this coffee and mascarpone dessert, reminiscent of an old-fashioned icebox cake.
- Makes: 10 servings
- Prep: 45 mins
- Stand: 5 mins
- Chill: 24 hrs 45 mins to 25 hrs
- In a 1-cup glass measure sprinkle the gelatin over cold water and let stand for 5 minutes. In a small saucepan bring a small amount of water to boiling. Place glass measure with gelatin in saucepan; heat and stir until gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat; set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, line the bottom of a 6-cup bowl with plastic wrap. Line bottom of the bowl with pound cake slices or ladyfingers, trimming the cake or ladyfingers to fit as necessary. To line sides, press cake or ladyfingers against each other around side of mold; trim to fit. Using a spoon or small shaker bottle, sprinkle cake with the 2 to 3 tablespoons Marsala or apple juice.
- For the mascarpone mixture, in a small bowl mix mascarpone or cream cheese, powdered sugar, and 2 tablespoons of the cooled gelatin mixture. Stir in the 1/4 cup Marsala or apple juice. Set aside.
- For the coffee mixture, in a medium mixing bowl beat egg yolks and granulated sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed about 2 minutes or until thick. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan place the 1-1/2 cups whipping cream, instant espresso powder, and vanilla bean, if using; bring to a simmer. Remove vanilla bean and discard. Pour 1 cup of the hot mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Return all to the saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and just bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Stir in vanilla, if using, and remaining gelatin mixture. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Cover and chill for 45 to 60 minutes or until mixture cools and starts to mound.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the 1 cup whipping cream until soft peaks form; fold into espresso mixture.
- Pour half of the espresso mixture into the prepared mold. Spread mascarpone mixture atop. Top with the remaining espresso mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and chill the dessert overnight.
- To serve, uncover and invert onto a serving plate. Remove remaining plastic wrap. Garnish with kumquats and strawberries, if desired. Garnish with orange peel curls, if desired. Makes 10 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Mascarpone is a rich Italian cream cheese often served with fruit for dessert. You can buy it at the cheese counter of your supermarket.
Up to 1 day ahead, prepare charlotte. Cover and chill.
Nutrition Facts (Tiramisu Charlotte)
- Per serving:
- 449 kcal cal.,
- 39 g fat
- (22 g sat. fat,
- 196 mg chol.,
- 87 mg sodium,
- 20 g carb.,
- 9 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet