Rum and Eggnog Cakes
Toasting the holidays isn't the only way to enjoy eggnog. Use eggnog in these easy and elegant mini cakes. Because they keep well, you can serve some now and freeze the rest to serve drop-in guests.
- Makes: 24 servings
- Prep: 40 mins
- Chill: up to 2 days
- Bake: 350°F 30 minutes for the 4-inch pans or 55 to 60 minutes for the 10-inch pan
Rum and Eggnog Cakes
- Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and lightly flour twelve 4-inch individual fluted tube pans or one 10-inch fluted tube pan; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the 2-1/4 cups flour, the baking powder, and nutmeg; set aside. In a small bowl, toss together candied fruits and peels, raisins, pecans, and the 2 tablespoons flour; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition.
- Alternately add flour mixture and eggnog to butter mixture, beating on low speed just until combined after each addition. (Do not over beat.) Stir in 1/4 cup of the rum or orange juice mixture. Fold in fruit mixture. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake until a long wooden toothpick inserted near center(s) comes out clean. Allow about 30 minutes for the 4-inch pans or 55 to 60 minutes for the 10-inch pan. Cool in pan(s) on wire rack(s) for 15 minutes. Remove from pan(s); cool on wire rack(s).
- Using a toothpick, poke holes all over each cake. Soak double-thick square(s) of 100 percent-cotton cheesecloth in the remaining rum or orange juice mixture, using 1 cup total of the mixture for 4-inch cakes or 1/2 cup of the mixture for the 10-inch cake. Chill remaining rum or juice mixture. Wrap cakes in moistened cheesecloth. Place in resealable plastic bag(s).
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days to mellow flavors, drizzling with 1/4 cup of the rum or the juice mixture after the first day.
- To serve, remove cheesecloth and drizzle cake(s) with Eggnog Glaze; let dry. If desired, garnish with fresh fruit. Makes 24 to 30 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
To Bake Ahead:
Prepare cake(s) as directed, except do not drizzle with rum or juice mixture or drizzle with Eggnog Glaze. Place in freezer bag(s); seal. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator. To serve, drizzle with 1/4 cup rum or orange juice, then with Eggnog Glaze; let dry. If desired garnish with fresh fruit.
- In a small bowl, stir together powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon dairy eggnog, light-colored corn syrup, and light rum or rum extract. Stir in enough additional eggnog, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make a glaze of drizzling consistency.