- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon light-color corn syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ancho chile powder or chili powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded orange peel
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice or orange liqueur
- 1 recipe Chocolate-Orange Ganache
- 1 recipe Orange Whipped Cream
- Finely shredded orange peel (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease and flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan; set aside. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine chocolate pieces, water, the 2 tablespoons butter, the corn syrup, and ancho chile powder. Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted. Cool slightly.
2. In a large bowl, beat the 1 cup butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar and brown sugar; beat until combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Beat in flour mixture just until combined.
3. Divide batter into two equal portions. To one portion, add the 1 tablespoon orange peel and the 2 tablespoons orange juice; mix well. To the other portion, add chocolate mixture; mix well. Spoon batters, half at a time, into the prepared pan, alternating orange and chocolate batters.
4. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan. Using a long-tined fork, poke the cake all over. Brush or drizzle with the 1/4 cup orange juice. Cool completely on wire rack.
5. Prepare Chocolate-Orange Ganache and Orange Whipped Cream. Spoon the ganache over cake and, if desired, sprinkle with additional finely shredded orange peel. Serve with the whipped cream. Makes 12 to 16 servings.
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
1. In a small saucepan, heat whipping cream over medium-high heat just until boiling. Remove from heat. Add semisweet chocolate pieces; do not stir. Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in finely shredded orange peel. If necessary, cool for 15 minutes to thicken.
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel
1. In a medium bowl, combine whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Fold in finely shredded orange peel.