Impress guests with this spice cake variation recipe that swirls a cream cheese filling into the batter prior to baking.
- Makes: 9 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Cool: 30 mins
- Bake: 35 mins 350°F
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8x8x2-inch baking pan; set aside. For filling: In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Beat in granulated sugar and 1 egg until combined. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar; beat until combined. Beat in molasses and 1 egg. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Pour about 2 cups of the batter into the prepared baking pan. Pour filling over batter in pan, spreading evenly. Spoon the remaining batter in mounds on top of filling. Using a table knife or narrow metal spatula, gently swirl the batter into the filling to marble.
- Bake about 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Cut into squares. Serve warm. Makes 9 servings.
To make 1/2 cup sour milk, place 1-1/2 teaspoons vinegar or lemon juice in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1/2 cup total liquid; stir. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.