- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 4 eggs
- Nonstick cooking spray (kosher for Passover)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup matzoh meal
- 1/3 cup ground walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1/4 cup sliced toasted almonds
- Shredded orange peel (optional)
1. Separate eggs; let stand, covered, at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 325 degree F.
2. Spray the cups of six 3-1/4-inch muffin pans or twelve 2-1/2-inch muffin pans with nonstick cooking spray. Set prepared pans aside.
3. In a mixing bowl beat egg yolks, 2 tablespoons of the sugar, and the salt with an electric mixer on medium to high speed about 4 minutes until thick and lemon-colored. Stir in the matzoh meal, walnuts, the 1/2 teaspoon orange peel, and the orange juice. Set aside. Wash beaters thoroughly.
4. In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium speed about 1 minute or until soft peaks form (tips curl). Increase speed to high and beat in remaining sugar until stiff, flossy peaks form (tips stand straight).
5. Gently fold egg yolk mixture into egg whites. Divide batter evenly among prepared pans, filling smaller cups to the top. Bake for 15 minutes for small pans or 30 minutes for large pans, or until golden color and a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Loosen sides. Remove from pans. Place, top sides up, on wire rack or serving platter.
6. In a small bowl combine honey and the 1/4 teaspoon orange peel. Drizzle over tops of cakes. Sprinkle with almonds and additional shredded orange peel, if desired. Makes 6 large or 12 small cakes.
- For small cakes cut 12 pieces of heavy-weight stiff pink or other pastel paper 8-1/2x2-inches. Fold in half lengthwise and cut half-inch deep snips along the folded edge every half inch. Form into a circle around cake and secure with a paper clip or transparent tape. Tie with 1/2-inch ribbon and remove paper clip. Repeat with remaining tortes. If baking large cakes, use six 11x2-1/2-inch pieces of heavyweight stiff pink paper.
- cal. (kcal) 231,
- Fat, total (g) 10,
- chol. (mg) 142,
- sat. fat (g) 2,
- carb. (g) 29,
- fiber (g) 1,
- pro. (g) 7,
- vit. A (RE) 72,
- vit. C (mg) 3,
- sodium (mg) 89,
- calcium (mg) 30,
- iron (mg) 1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet