Harvest Carrot Cake with Skillet Fruit
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 8x8x2-inch square or 9x1-1/2-inch round baking pan; line the bottom of pan with waxed paper. Grease paper. Lightly coat pan with flour; set aside. In medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl combine sugars, pumpkin, eggs and oil. Stir in carrot and buttermilk. Gradually beat in flour mixture; stir in walnuts. Transfer to pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely.
- Place cake on serving platter and top with Buttercream Frosting. Just before serving spoon on warm Skillet Fruit. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Mashed Sweet Potato:
Peel and cube 8 ounces orange-fleshed sweet potatoes. Cook, covered, in lightly salted boiling water for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain; cool slightly and mash.
- In large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually beat in 1 cup powdered sugar. Beat in milk and vanilla. Gradually beat in 1/4 to 1/2 cup additional powdered sugar until frosting reaches spreading consistency.
- In large skillet melt butter; stir in granulated sugar. Add red-skin pears, kumquats, and fresh cranberries. Cook, gently stirring occasionally, until pears are just tender (2 to 4 minutes). Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts (Harvest Carrot Cake with Skillet Fruit)
- Per serving:
- 409 kcal cal.,
- 20 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 10 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 65 mg chol.,
- 212 mg sodium,
- 55 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 36 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet