Devil's Food Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Grease and lightly flour two 9x1-1/2-inch round cake pans or one 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set pan(s) aside. Stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla; beat until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Add the dry mixture and water alternately to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan(s), spreading evenly. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool layer cakes in pan on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool thoroughly on wire racks. Or, place 13x9-inch cake in pan on a wire rack; cool thoroughly.
- For glaze, in a heavy saucepan combine chocolate and margarine or butter over low heat, stirring constantly until chocolate begins to melt. Immediately remove from heat; stir until smooth. Set aside. In another saucepan stir together whipping cream and corn syrup. Bring mixture to gentle boil. Reduce heat. Cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in chocolate mixture. Cool to room temperature.
- For frosting, beat together the cream cheese, butter, and 2 teaspoons vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually add 2 cups sifted powdered sugar and cocoa powder, beating well. Gradually beat in remaining powdered sugar until smooth. Beat in milk if needed, to reach spreading consistency.
- Frost tops and sides of layers or top of 13x9x2-inch cake with frosting, reserving 1 cup of frosting to make chocolate "drops." Drizzle with glaze. Add chocolate "drops" around base of cake. Then pipe on top of cake. (To make chocolate "drops," spoon reserved frosting into a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip.) Cover and chill to store. Makes 12 to 16 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Devil's Food Cake)
- Per serving:
- 707 kcal cal.,
- 29 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat,
- 104 mg chol.,
- 359 mg sodium,
- 107 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Sandra Sollars 457 Days Ago
This cake is not good at all. Overly sweet and the cinnamon has no place in it. Also very dry. Will never make it again.