Deep Chocolate Cake
Loaded with chocolate, this euphoric dessert recipe creates an astounding birthday cake or special occasion dessert.
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 40 mins
- Bake: 20 mins 350°F
Deep Chocolate Cake
teaspoon baking powder
teaspoon baking soda
ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
Chocolate curls (optional)
Chocolate-Sour Cream Frosting (see recipe below)
Fresh raspberries (optional)
Fresh mint sprigs (optional)
- Grease three 9-inch round baking pans or three 8x8x2-inch square baking pans; lightly dust each pan with 1 teaspoon of the cocoa powder. In a medium bowl, stir together the remaining cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar; beat until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating for 30 seconds after each addition.
- Beat in chocolate and vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and milk to chocolate mixture, beating on low speed until well mixed. (Batter will be thick.)
- Divide batter among prepared pans; spread evenly. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Make chocolate curls, if using. Arrange curls in an even layer on a waxed paper-lined tray and set aside in a cool, dry place. To assemble cake, spread Chocolate-Sour Cream Frosting on tops of two of the layers; stack. Add top layer; frost the top and sides of the cake. If desired, while frosting is still moist, use a 4- to 6-inch wooden skewer or tweezers to lightly press chocolate curls into frosting around the bottom two-thirds of the cake. If desired, garnish top with raspberries and mint. Store, covered, in the refrigerator. Makes 12 to 16 servings.
Chocolate-Sour Cream Frosting
ounces semisweet chocolate pieces (2 cups)
8 ounce container dairy sour cream
cups sifted powdered sugar (about 1 pound)
- In a large saucepan melt chocolate pieces and butter over low heat, stirring frequently. Cool for 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until smooth. This frosts tops and sides of two 8- or 9-inch cake layers.
Nutrition Facts (Deep Chocolate Cake)
- Per serving:
- 759 kcal cal.,
- 38 g fat
- (23 g sat. fat,
- 111 mg chol.,
- 246 mg sodium,
- 105 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 9 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet