cups egg whites (11 or 12 large)
cup granulated sugar
teaspoons cream of tartar
cup granulated sugar
teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
recipe Tangy Lemon Frosting
Finely shredded lemon peel (optional)
- In a very large mixing bowl allow egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, sift together flour and 3/4 cup sugar 3 times; set aside.
- Add vanilla, cream of tartar, and salt to egg whites. Beat with electric mixer on medium to high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Sift one-fourth of the flour mixture over white mixture; fold in gently. If bowl is too full, transfer to a larger bowl. Repeat with remaining flour mixture, using one-fourth of the flour mixture each time. Transfer half of the batter to another bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl beat egg yolks on high speed for 6 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Fold in 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon peel. Gently fold yolk mixture into half of the egg white mixture. Alternately spoon yellow batter and remaining white batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Swirl metal spatula through batters to marble.
- Bake on the lowest rack in a 350 degree F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert cake in pan; cool completely. Loosen sides of cake from pan; remove. Place cake upside down on a plate; frost with Tangy Lemon Frosting. Sprinkle top with finely shredded lemon peel, if desired. Cover and chill up to 24 hours. Makes 12 servings.
Tangy Lemon Frosting
cup margarine or butter
cups powdered sugar, sifted
teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
cup lemon juice
- Beat 1/2 cup margarine or butter with an electric mixer until softened. Beat in 5-1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel, and 1/3 cup lemon juice, adding additional lemon juice, if necessary, to make of spreading consistency.
Nutrition Facts(Daffodil Cake)
- Per serving:
- 424 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 107 mg chol.,
- 189 mg sodium,
- 79 g carb.,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet