Cranberry-Black Walnut Coffee Cake
Take advantage of cranberries when they are readily available during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. They add a hint of tartness to this treat that can be served for brunch or dessert.
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 45 mins
- Bake: 1 hr 15 mins 325°F
- Grease a 10-inch springform pan; set aside. In medium saucepan, combine cranberries, apple juice, brown sugar, the water, and cinnamon. Bring to boiling, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat. Cover; let stand for 10 minutes. Drain cranberries, discarding liquid and cinnamon. Coarsely chop cranberries; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large bowl, stir together flour, granulated sugar, ground nuts, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and salt. In a medium bowl, beat eggs with a fork. Stir in milk, melted butter, and vanilla. Add egg mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle center with cranberries to within 1 inch of the outside edge.
- Sprinkle batter with Streusel Topping. Bake about 1-1/4 hours or until wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove side of springform pan. Serve cake warm. Makes 12 servings.
Completely cool coffee cake. Place in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw wrapped coffee cake overnight in the refrigerator. If desired, wrap in foil and heat in a 325 degree F oven about 30 minutes or until warm.
- In a food processor, combine flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla. Cover and process until combined. Add butter pieces to flour mixture. Cover and process with several on-off turns until crumbly. (Or in medium bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla. Using pastry blender, cut in butter.) Stir in walnuts.
- Per serving:
- 617 kcal cal.,
- 31 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat,
- 126 mg chol.,
- 322 mg sodium,
- 79 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 10 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet