Cranberry-Black Walnut Coffee Cake
- Grease a 10-inch springform pan; set aside. In medium saucepan, combine cranberries, apple juice, brown sugar, the water, and cinnamon. Bring to boiling, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat. Cover; let stand for 10 minutes. Drain cranberries, discarding liquid and cinnamon. Coarsely chop cranberries; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large bowl, stir together flour, granulated sugar, ground nuts, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and salt. In a medium bowl, beat eggs with a fork. Stir in milk, melted butter, and vanilla. Add egg mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle center with cranberries to within 1 inch of the outside edge.
- Sprinkle batter with Streusel Topping. Bake about 1-1/4 hours or until wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove side of springform pan. Serve cake warm. Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
To Bake Ahead:
Completely cool coffee cake. Place in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw wrapped coffee cake overnight in the refrigerator. If desired, wrap in foil and heat in a 325 degree F oven about 30 minutes or until warm.
- In a food processor, combine flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla. Cover and process until combined. Add butter pieces to flour mixture. Cover and process with several on-off turns until crumbly. (Or in medium bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla. Using pastry blender, cut in butter.) Stir in walnuts.
Nutrition Facts (Cranberry-Black Walnut Coffee Cake)
- Per serving:
- 617 kcal cal.,
- 31 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat,
- 126 mg chol.,
- 322 mg sodium,
- 79 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 10 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet