Chocolate-Espresso Chiffon Cake
teaspoons espresso powder or instant coffee crystals
tablespoon baking powder
cup cooking oil
ounces bittersweet chocolate, grated
teaspoon cream of tartar
recipe Espresso Whipped Cream
- Separate eggs, discarding 3 of the yolks or saving for another use. Let eggs stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Dissolve espresso in water; set aside.
- In large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; make well in center. Add oil, the 5 egg yolks, dissolved espresso, and vanilla. Beat on low until moistened; beat on medium-high 4 to 5 minutes or until satin smooth. Stir in grated chocolate.
- Wash and dry beaters. In 4-quart bowl beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium-high until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Pour chocolate batter in thin stream over surface of whites; fold to blend. Spoon in ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake 60-70 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched near center. Invert pan to cool. Carefully loosen sides; remove from pan. Serve with Espresso Whipped Cream. Makes 14 servings.
Espresso Whipped Cream
cup whipping cream
teaspoon espresso powder or instant coffee crystals
- In chilled bowl combine whipping cream, sugar, espresso powder or instant coffee crystals, and vanilla. Beat until soft peaks form.
Nutrition Facts(Chocolate-Espresso Chiffon Cake)
- Per serving:
- 354 kcal cal.,
- 19 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 6 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 99 mg chol.,
- 286 mg sodium,
- 42 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 26 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet