Chocolate-Cinnamon Angel Cake
Low in fat and calories, angel food cake has always been a favorite diet dessert. A mild chocolate flavor accented with cinnamon sets this one apart.
- Makes: 16 servings
- Prep: 50 mins
- Bake: 40 mins 350°F
- Cool: 3 hrs
- In a very large mixing bowl allow the egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sift the powdered sugar, flour, cocoa powder, and cinnamon together 3 times. Set aside.
- Add the cream of tartar and vanilla to the egg whites. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).
- Gradually add granulated sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- Sift about one-fourth of the dry mixture over the beaten egg whites; fold in gently. Repeat, folding in the remaining dry mixture by fourths. Pour into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Using a narrow metal spatula or knife, gently cut through the batter to remove any large air pockets.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven on the lowest rack for 40 to 45 minutes or until the top of cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Immediately invert cake (leave in pan); cool 3 hours or until completely cooled. When cool, loosen sides of cake from pan. Remove cake from pan. To serve, slice into wedges. If desired, serve cake drizzled with chocolate-flavored syrup and garnish with strawberries. Makes 16 servings.
Prepare and bake cake as directed. Place cake on a baking sheet and freeze until firm. Once firm, place cake in a 2 gallon freezer bag and freeze for up to 1 month. Before serving, thaw at room temperature for several hours.
- Per serving:
- 125 kcal cal.,
- 35 mg sodium,
- 28 g carb.,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet