Cherry Polenta Cake
- In a small bowl, combine dried cherries and grappa. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes. Drain cherries, reserving 1 tablespoon of the grappa to use in the Grappa Whipped Cream. Set cherries aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom and side of a 9-inch springform pan that has a removable bottom; set aside. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, rosemary, and vanilla; beat until combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in sour cream. Gently stir in flour mixture. Pour batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with the drained cherries.
- Bake about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Using a small sharp knife, loosen edge of cake from side of pan. Remove side of pan; cool cake for 20 minutes more.
- Prepare Grappa Whipped Cream. If desired, sift powdered sugar over cake.* Spoon the whipped cream on top of each serving of cake. Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
To create a powdered-sugar design, place a large doily on top of the cake. Sift powdered sugar over the doily. If your doily has large designs, use a clean, dry brush to brush any sugar left on the doily into the holes. This keeps the edges of your design sharp and clean. Then carefully lift off the doily.
Grappa Whipped Cream
- In a medium bowl, combine whipping cream, sugar, and grappa. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).