New York-Style Cheesecake
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. For crust, in a bowl combine crushed graham crackers, walnuts, the 1 tablespoon sugar, and, if desired, the cinnamon. Stir in melted butter. Press the crumb mixture onto the bottom and about 2 inches up the sides of an 8- or 9-inch springform pan; set aside.
- For filling, in a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese, the 1 cup sugar, the flour, and vanilla with an electric mixer until combined. Beat in milk until smooth. Stir in eggs and, if desired, lemon peel.
- Pour filling into crust-lined pan. Place the pan in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes for the 8-inch pan, 35 to 40 minutes for the 9-inch pan, or until a 2-1/2-inch area around the outside edge appears set when gently shaken.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Using a small sharp knife, loosen the crust from sides of pan; cool for 30 minutes. Remove the sides of the pan; cool cheesecake completely on rack. Cover and chill at least 4 hours before serving. Makes 12 slices.
From the Test Kitchen
Water Bath Method:
Prepare crust as directed. Place the crust-lined springform pan on a double layer of 18x12-inch heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bring edges of foil up and mold around sides of pan to form a watertight seal. Prepare filling as directed and pour into prepared pan. Place in a roasting pan and pour enough hot water around pan to reach halfway up the sides. Bake as directed. When done, edges of cake will be set but center will jiggle a bit when pan is gently shaken. Turn oven off and allow cheesecake to sit in oven for 1 hour (cheesecake will continue to set up during standing time in oven). Remove from water bath; cool and chill as directed in step 4.
Chocolate Marble Cheesecake:
Prepare as above, except omit lemon peel. Melt 4 ounces semisweet chocolate. Stir the melted chocolate into half of the filling. Pour plain filling into the crust; pour chocolate filling into the crust. Use a narrow metal spatula to gently swirl the fillings. If desired, garnish with chocolate shavings.
Per slice: 473 cal., 35 g total fat (19 g sat. fat), 137 mg chol., 34 carbo., 1 g fiber, 8 g pro. Daily Values: 22% vit. A, 0% vit. C, 7% calcium, 11% iron Exchanges: 2 Other Carbo., 7 Fat
Sour Cream Cheesecake:
Prepare as above, except reduce cream cheese to 2 packages. Omit the milk and add two 8-ounce cartons dairy sour cream. Bake 45 to 50 minutes for 8-inch pan (40 to 45 minutes for 9-inch pan).
Per slice: 439 cal., 33 g total fat (18g sat. fat), 133 mg chol., 30 g carbo., 288 mg sodium, 1 g fiber, 7 g pro. Daily Values: 21% vit. A, 1% vit. C, 9% calcium, 7% iron Exchanges: 2 other Carbo., 6 Fat
Nutrition Facts (New York-Style Cheesecake )
- Per serving:
- 426 kcal cal.,
- 32 g fat
- (17 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 10 g monounsatured fat),
- 138 mg chol.,
- 303 mg sodium,
- 29 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 18 g sugar,
- 8 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet