Caramelized Upside-Down Pear-Ginger Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium skillet, combine the brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat until combined. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Divide mixture evenly between two 9x1-1/2-inch round cake pans. Sprinkle with nuts, if using.
- Core pears and, if desired, peel pears. Cut into thin wedges. Arrange pears in the pans. Set aside.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions, except add the 1 additional egg. Stir in finely chopped crystallized ginger. Spoon batter evenly over pear slices in pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 5 minutes. Loosen cakes from sides of pans; invert onto serving platters. Serve warm with ice cream and, if desired, warmed caramel sauce. Makes 16 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Caramelized Upside-Down Pear-Ginger Cake)
- Per serving:
- 285 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 62 mg chol.,
- 249 mg sodium,
- 44 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet