Caramel-Frosted Hummingbird Cake
- Let eggs stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease three 9-inch round cake pans. Line bottoms with waxed or parchment paper. Grease and flour paper; set aside.
- In bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cloves. Stir in bananas, oil, eggs, and vanilla until moist and thick. Stir in sweet potatoes and pineapple. Spread evenly in prepared pans.
- Bake 30 minutes or until pick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Peel off paper. Cool completely.
- Prepare Caramel Butter Frosting. Place one layer, flat side up, on plate. Spread top only with 1-1/4 cups frosting. Stack and frost remaining layers. Makes 16 servings.
Caramel Butter Frosting
- In large saucepan melt butter; add brown sugar. Bring to boiling over medium heat; stirring constantly. Cook and stir 1 minute; cool 5 minutes. Whisk in milk until smooth. Whisk in powdered sugar until smooth. Use at once; frosting stiffens as it cools. Makes 4 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Caramel-Frosted Hummingbird Cake)
- Per serving:
- 741 kcal ,
- 27 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat ,
- 10 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 71 mg chol. ,
- 310 mg sodium ,
- 125 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 101 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.
pshanny1 4 Days Ago
A big hit every time. Recipe makes too much frosting (which is delicious), so I cut it in half
Lahla 1681 Days Ago
this is an easy recipe to follow & make with a pretty decent result. it was not really bad but it is NOT the best Hummingbird Cake I have baked. i got another recipe that is way delicious (maybe because it uses butter instead of oil). i got the recipe from a BHG cookbook years ago & whenever i bake that cake it never fails to get positive feedbacks & always goes fast. it is so good even unfrosted or with just a dust of some confectioners' sugar or even without any. as for the Caramel frosting that is used here, i would NOT really recommend it!!! TOO hard to make... TOO much work... TOO MUCH sugar (2 cups` + 6 cups!!!! SO NOT HEALTHY!) ... it makes the cake weigh like a TON! do NOT waste your precious time with it... MOVE ON!