Buttery Yellow Citrus Cake
- Let butter and eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour two 9x2-inch round baking pans; set aside.
- In medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, and baking soda; set aside. In large bowl beat butter on medium 30 seconds. Gradually beat in sugar until combined; beat 2 minutes more. Add yolks one at a time, beat well after each addition. Add flour mixture and milk alternately; beat on low after each just until combined. Stir in peels and juices. Spread batter in prepared pans.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until pick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool.
- Prepare Lemony Frosting. Place one layer flat side down on plate; spread top with frosting. Stack second layer flat side down; spread remaining frosting. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate. Makes 12 servings.
Lemony Whipped Cream Frosting
- In large chilled bowl beat whipping cream, powdered sugar, and instant vanilla pudding on medium-high until stiff peaks form. Fold in lemon peel. If made ahead, chill 24 hours; stir before spreading. Makes 3-1/2 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Buttery Yellow Citrus Cake)
- Per serving:
- 499 kcal cal.,
- 29 g fat
- (18 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 8 g monounsatured fat),
- 192 mg chol.,
- 303 mg sodium,
- 55 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 32 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Lesley Borrowman 1611 Days Ago
I made this recipe into cupcakes with lemon, lime and orange zest and juices. It is a light citrus flavour and the colour would be a really nice yellow with just yolks, but it is a pretty pale yellow with whole eggs. I might add a bit more zest next time for a stronger flavour. I did not try the glaze, I will be icing with Swiss Meringue Buttercream. The cakes are a tad dry, but with icing I think it will balance out. I will be making this again! The recipe above made nearly 30 standard size cupcakes!