Buttery Yellow Citrus Cake
egg yolks or 3 whole eggs
teaspoons baking powder
teaspoon baking soda
teaspoons finely shredded lemon or lime peel
teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
tablespoons lemon or lime juice
tablespoons orange juice
recipe Lemony Whipped Cream Frosting
- Let butter and eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour two 9x2-inch round baking pans; set aside.
- In medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, and baking soda; set aside. In large bowl beat butter on medium 30 seconds. Gradually beat in sugar until combined; beat 2 minutes more. Add yolks one at a time, beat well after each addition. Add flour mixture and milk alternately; beat on low after each just until combined. Stir in peels and juices. Spread batter in prepared pans.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until pick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool.
- Prepare Lemony Frosting. Place one layer flat side down on plate; spread top with frosting. Stack second layer flat side down; spread remaining frosting. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate. Makes 12 servings.
Lemony Whipped Cream Frosting
cups whipping cream
tablespoons powdered sugar
tablespoon instant vanilla pudding
tablespoon shredded lemon peel
- In large chilled bowl beat whipping cream, powdered sugar, and instant vanilla pudding on medium-high until stiff peaks form. Fold in lemon peel. If made ahead, chill 24 hours; stir before spreading. Makes 3-1/2 cups.
Nutrition Facts(Buttery Yellow Citrus Cake)
- Per serving:
- 499 kcal cal.,
- 29 g fat
- (18 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 8 g monounsatured fat),
- 192 mg chol.,
- 303 mg sodium,
- 55 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 32 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet