Buttermilk Carrot Cake
- Grease and lightly flour two 9x1-1/2-inch round baking pans (or one 13x9x2-inch baking pan); set aside. In a large mixing bowl combine flour, 2 cups sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Add shredded carrot, 1/4 cup buttermilk or sour milk, cooking oil, pineapple, nuts, eggs, coconut, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir until combined. Spread batter in prepared pans.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until cakes spring back when touched lightly.
Meanwhile, prepare glaze:
- In a medium saucepan combine 1/2 sugar, the remaining 1/4 cup buttermilk or sour milk, 1/4 cup margarine or butter, and corn syrup. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Pour evenly over tops of cakes. Cool cakes in pans on wire racks for 15 minutes. Remove layer cakes from pans and place on wire racks (do not remove cake from 13x9x2-inch pan). Cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese, 1/2 cup margarine or butter, and 2 teaspoons vanilla with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add sifted powdered sugar, beating to spreading consistency. Stir in walnuts. Frost cake. Store in the refrigerator. Makes 16 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Cover and chill frosted cake up to 48 hours.
Nutrition Facts (Buttermilk Carrot Cake)
- Per serving:
- 538 kcal cal.,
- 25 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 52 mg chol.,
- 321 mg sodium,
- 77 g carb.,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet