Red food coloring intensifies the hue of the strawberry layer in this luscious dessert recipe. If you are a chocolate lover, drizzle with purchased chocolate sauce.
- Makes: 12 servings
- Prep: 1 hr 10 mins
- Bake: 30 mins 350°F
small ripe banana, mashed (1/3 cup)
cup dairy sour cream
teaspoons baking powder
teaspoon baking soda
cup strawberry jam
drops red food coloring (optional)
1 ounce square semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
cup strawberry jam or preserves
Strawberry Ice Cream (optional)
- Let butter and eggs stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottoms of two 8-inch round cake pans. Line bottoms with waxed paper or parchment paper. Grease and flour; set aside.
- In large bowl beat butter on medium speed 30 seconds; gradually beat in sugar to combine. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. In bowl combine banana, sour cream, milk, and vanilla. In another bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, and soda. Alternately beat flour mixture and banana mixture into butter mixture on low.
- In small bowl combine 2/3 cup batter, the 1/2 cup strawberry jam, and food coloring. In separate bowl combine 2/3 cup batter and melted chocolate. Spread plain batter in prepared pans. Spoon flavored batters on each plain batter; gently swirl with knife.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, until wooden pick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans, peel off paper, cool. Place one layer flat side down on plate. Top with jam. Stack second layer flat side down. Makes 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Banana-Split Cake)
- Per serving:
- 406 kcal cal.,
- 16 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 86 mg chol.,
- 264 mg sodium,
- 62 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 36 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Related CategoriesBanana Cakes, Cakes, Chocolate Cakes, Chocolate Desserts, Desserts, Fruit Salad Recipes, Healthy Recipes, Heart-Healthy Recipes, Ice Cream Cakes, Ice Cream Recipes, Low Cholesterol Recipes, Low Fat Recipes, Red Velvet Cakes, Strawberry Cakes, Strawberry Cheesecakes, Strawberry Desserts, Strawberry Pies