- Separate eggs. Allow egg whites and yolks to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease and lightly flour a 15x10x1-inch pan; set pan aside. Stir together flour and baking powder; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat egg yolks and vanilla with an electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon colored. Gradually add the 1/3 cup granulated sugar, beating on high speed until sugar is almost dissolved.
- Thoroughly wash the beaters. In another bowl beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add the 1/2 cup granulated sugar, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold egg yolk mixture into beaten egg whites. Sprinkle flour mixture over egg mixture; fold in gently just until combined. Spread batter evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately loosen edges of cake from pan and turn cake out onto a towel sprinkled with powdered sugar. Roll up towel and cake into a spiral starting from one of the cakes short sides. Cool on a wire rack. Unroll cake; remove towel. Spread cake with jelly or jam to within 1 inch of edges. Roll up cake. Makes 10 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above, except reduce flour to 1/3 cup and omit baking powder. Add 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda to flour. Substitute 2 cups whipped cream or cooled chocolate pudding for the jelly. Roll up cake. Drizzle cake with chocolate glaze; chill up to 2 hours.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 275 cal., 15 g total fat (8 g sat. fat), 123 mg chol., 85 mg sodium, 32 g carbo., 0 g fiber, 4 g pro.
Daily Values: 11% vit. A, 5% calcium, 6% iron
Exchanges: 2 Other carbo., 2 1/2 Fat
Prepare as above, except add 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice to flour mixture and stir 1/2 cup canned pumpkin into egg yolk and sugar mixture. Substitute 1/2 recipe Cream Cheese Frosting for the jelly. Sprinkle cake roll with additional sifted powdered sugar; chill.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 322 cal., 11 g total fat (6 g sat. fat), 110 mg chol., 150 mg sodium, 53 g carbo., 1 g fiber, 4 g pro. Daily Values: 64% vit. A, 1% vit. C, 5% calcium, 5% iron
Exchanges: 3 1/2 Other carbo., 2 Fat
Prepare as above, except substitute 2 cups of your favorite ice cream, softened, for the jelly. Store in the freezer.
Nutrition Facts(Jelly Roll)
- Per serving:
- 160 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 85 mg chol.,
- 70 mg sodium,
- 32 g carb.,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet