Extra-Light Cake Roll
- Line a 15x10x1-inch jelly roll pan with parchment or waxed paper; set pan aside.
- In a small mixing bowl combine flour and baking powder; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat granulated sugar, whole egg product or eggs, and vanilla with an electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes or until slightly thick and lemon-colored. Add water and beat on low speed. Sprinkle flour mixture over egg mixture; fold in gently until just combined. Spread batter evenly in prepared jelly-roll pan. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until top is golden and springs back when lightly touched.
- Immediately loosen edges of cake from pan and turn cake out onto a towel sprinkled with the 1 tablespoon powdered sugar. Roll up towel and cake, jelly-roll style, starting from one of the cakes short sides. Cool on a wire rack. Unroll cake; remove towel. Spread cake with frozen yogurt or ice milk to within 1/2 inch of edges. Roll up cake. Wrap and freeze at least 4 hours. Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar before serving, if desired. Garnish with strawberries, orange peel strips, and mint, if desired. Makes 10 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Be aware that this cake will not work with a refrigerated egg product made with egg whites.
Nutrition Facts (Extra-Light Cake Roll)
- Per serving:
- 236 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 8 mg chol.,
- 106 mg sodium,
- 43 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet