Devil Dog Cake
- For cake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 15x10x2-inch -inch jellyroll pan. Line pan with parchment paper, leaving a short overhang on two sides for easy cake removal. Butter parchment. In bowl of stand mixer fitted with whip attachment, beat egg yolks on high speed until thick and pale 4 minutes. With mixer running, beat in 3/4 cup of the sugar, a tablespoon at a time. Beat in the melted chocolate and the bourbon. Set aside.
- Fit stand mixer with a clean bowl and clean whip. On medium-high speed, beat egg whites until foamy; add salt. Beat until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining in remaining sugar, a tablespoon at time. Increase speed to high and beat until stiff peaks form, 30 seconds to a minute.
- In large bowl, whisk about 1/3 of egg whites into chocolate-yolk mixture to lighten. Gently fold in remaining whites in two additions until just combined. Pour batter into pan, smoothing with spatula. Bake 14 to 15 minutes or until tester inserted near center comes out clean.
- Run a knife around sides of cake to loosen. Cover top of cake with a piece of parchment. Cover parchment with damp (not wet) tea towel to soften top crust. Let cake cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- For filling, in bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat cream cheese, peanut butter and sugar on high speed until smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low; beat in white chocolate until combined.
- When you are ready to fill cake, invert onto rack, peel off the parchment and invert again onto clean sheet of parchment (crust-side will be facing up). Spread with filling. Using the parchment paper to help, gently roll up cake lengthwise. (It may crack slightly-- do not worry. Just keep rolling-any cracks will be sealed by filling and the cake itself which is very moist and fudgy.) Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- In small saucepan set over medium-high heat, bring cream to full boil. Remove from heat; stir in semisweet chocolate until completely melted. Cool 5 minutes.
- To assemble, cut about 1-1/2 inch slice from each end of cake roll. Cut one of slices in half to obtain two 3/4 slices. Coating cut-side of each slice with some of ganache, attach larger slice to top of one end of cake roll for neck. Attach two smaller slices at bottom of back end of cake roll for back legs. Cut narrow strip of heavy card board or foam core to fit under cake. Slide cake onto support. Place on wire rack and set over baking sheet or jellyroll pan. Pour glaze over cake to cover, using small offset spatula to ensure even coverage. Let excess glaze drip off. Transfer cake on its support to serving platter. Add pecan pieces for front and back paws.
- Make 3 copies of head template and one of tail on color copier. Paste heads and tail to pieces of light cardboard (cereal box). Cut out silhouettes. Attach heads to floral wire or pipe cleaners with tape. Insert into cake. Makes 16 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
For template cut and paste this address in browser window. Link is at the bottom of the page. http://www.bhg.com/halloween/parties/details-groan-ups-halloween-party/?page=2
Nutrition Facts (Devil Dog Cake)
- Per serving:
- 413 kcal cal.,
- 27 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 116 mg chol.,
- 154 mg sodium,
- 39 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 34 g sugar,
- 9 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet