- Yields: 34-36 cake pops
- Prep: 1 hr 45 mins
- Bake: according to the package directions
- Freeze: 1 hr
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Use any suggested pan size and bake according to package directions. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Line trays or baking sheets with waxed paper; set aside.
- Remove cooled cake from pan and crumble into a very large mixing bowl. Add frosting. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Using a small scoop, drop mixture into 1-1/2-inch mounds onto prepared trays; roll mounds into balls and freeze for 30 minutes.
- In a small microwave-safe dish heat 1 ounce of the candy coating (about 1/4 cup) on 50 percent power (medium) for 60 seconds until melted and smooth, stirring once. Dip one end of each lollipop stick into melted candy coating and poke sticks into balls (this helps the balls stay on the sticks). Freeze for 30 to 60 minutes more or until balls are firm.
- Place remaining candy coating and chopped chocolate in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat until melted and smooth, stirring frequently. Working in batches, dip balls into melted chocolate mixture. Allow excess to drip off; place balls on clean waxed paper-lined trays or baking sheets.* After coating is set, transfer to storage containers and store, covered, in refrigerator. Let stand at room temperature at least 30 minutes before serving.
Layer cake pops between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month.
If you don't want pops to have a flat side, poke the ends of the lollipop sticks into Styrofoam or florist's foam to suspend the pops until chocolate is set.
Use red velvet cake mix, Basic Butter Frosting, vanilla-flavor candy coating, and white baking chocolate for dipping. Reserve 1/2 cup crumbled cake. After dipping pops in white chocolate, sprinkle with reserved crumbled cake.
Use yellow cake mix, Coffee Frosting, vanilla-flavor candy coating, and white baking chocolate for dipping. After dipping pops in white chocolate, sprinkle with 1/4 cup crushed chocolate-covered espresso beans while chocolate is still wet.
Use chocolate cake mix, Almond Frosting, chocolate-flavor candy coating, and semisweet or dark chocolate for dipping. Before freezing the mounds of dough in Step 2, form each mound around a well-drained maraschino cherry.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually add 2/3 cup powdered sugar, beating well. Slowly beat in 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla. Gradually beat in the remaining 2 cups powdered sugar. If needed, beat in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make a frosting of spreading consistency.
Prepare frosting as directed, except add 1-1/2 teaspoons instant espresso coffee powder or instant coffee crystals. Mix with the 2 tablespoons milk to dissolve before adding.
Prepare frosting as directed, except substitute 1/2 teaspoon almond extract for the vanilla.
- 207 kcal cal.;
- 10 g Fat, total;
- 6 g sat. fat;
- 30 g carb.;
- 1 g Monosaturated fat;
- 1 g fiber;
- 23 g sugar;
- 1 g pro.;
- 0 mg Riboflavin;
- 30 mg calcium;
- 1 mg iron;
- 126 mg sodium;
- 39 mg Potassium
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet