Cajun Shrimp and Corn Bread Casserole
pound fresh or frozen large shrimp in shells
teaspoon Cajun seasoning
green and/or red sweet peppers, coarsely chopped (1-1/2 cups)
stalks celery, sliced (1 cup)
medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
tablespoon canola oil
cloves garlic, minced
15 ounce can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
14 1/2 ounce can no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, undrained and cut up
recipe Corn Bread Dumplings
Snipped fresh parsley (optional)
- Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact if desired. Rinse shrimp; pat dry with paper towels. In a large bowl combine shrimp and 1/2 teaspoon of the Cajun seasoning; toss gently to coat. Set aside.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet or large oven-going skillet, cook sweet peppers, celery, and onion in hot oil over medium-high heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently. Add shrimp and garlic. Cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimp are opaque.
- Stir in black-eyed peas, tomatoes, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning. Spread mixture in an even layer. Drop Corn Bread Dumplings into eight mounds on top of shrimp mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centers of dumplings comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with parsley.
Corn Bread Dumplings
cup yellow cornmeal
teaspoons baking powder
egg, lightly beaten
cup fat-free milk
tablespoons canola oil
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl combine egg, milk, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture; stir just until moistened.
Nutrition Facts(Cajun Shrimp and Corn Bread Casserole)
- Per serving:
- 336 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 122 mg chol.,
- 496 mg sodium,
- 42 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 8 g sugar,
- 21 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet