Butternut Squash Risotto
- In a medium saucepan heat broth until hot but not boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover to keep warm.
- In a large saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add onion. Cook and stir for 6 to 8 minutes until softened but not browned. Add rice; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add wine and simmer about 2 minutes, stirring constantly until it is absorbed.
- Add 1/2 cup of the hot broth. Simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently, until it is absorbed. Repeat with the remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, allowing each addition to absorb before adding more, about 30 minutes total. When all the broth is incorporated and the rice is tender and creamy, add the squash, sage, all but 2 tablespoons of the cheese, the salt, and pepper. Season with additional salt to taste. Garnish with reserved cheese. Serve immediately.
- To make butternut squash puree, wash and halve lengthwise a 1 1/2-lb. butternut squash. Remove seeds. Place, cut sides down, in a baking dish with 2 Tbsp. water. Microwave, covered with vented plastic wrap, for 7 to 10 minutes or until tender, rearranging once. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Scoop flesh out of skins; mash until smooth. Measure 1 1/2 cups. Reserve remaining squash for another use.
From the Test Kitchen
Additional low-sodium broth may be used in place of the wine.
Wash and halve lengthwise a 1 1/2-pound butternut squash. Remove seeds. Place, cut sides down, in a baking dish with 2 tablespoons water. Microwave, covered with vented plastic wrap, on 100% power (high) for 7 to 10 minutes or until tender, rearranging once. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Scoop flesh out of skins and mash until smooth. Measure 1 1/3 cups. Reserve remaining squash for another use.
Nutrition Facts (Butternut Squash Risotto)
- Per serving:
- 415 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 10 mg chol.,
- 784 mg sodium,
- 70 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 11 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet