Butternut Squash Posole
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Drain all but 1 tablespoon drippings from the Dutch oven.
- Add the celery, onion, and garlic to the Dutch oven; cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the oregano, chili powder, and cumin; cook and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the broth, chicken, squash, kale and hominy to the Dutch oven. Bring to boiling, reduce heat to medium and simmer until chicken is cooked through and squash is tender, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken; cut into cubes. Return chicken to pot. Stir in the cilantro, salt, and pepper. Divide among bowls and top with sliced radishes and lime wedges, if desired. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
You'll find squash in a variety of sizes and colors ranging from yellow to camel. Choose firm squash that are heavy for their size. Avoid those with soft spots. Store in a cool, dry, dark place for up to 1 month. Once cut, store in the refrigerator up to 1 week.
Nutrition Facts(Butternut Squash Posole)
- Per serving:
- 190 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 48 mg chol.,
- 859 mg sodium,
- 23 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 15 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet