Butternut Bisque with Spicy Pear Salsa
- For salsa, in a small bowl combine pear, red onion, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, lime peel, and lime juice. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Add 3 cups of the broth, the squash, carrot, and salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until carrot is tender.
- Using an immersion blender, blend squash mixture until smooth. (Or cool slightly. Transfer mixture, half at a time, to a blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Return pureed mixture to saucepan.) Stir crabmeat into squash mixture; heat through. Stir in enough of the additional 1/2 cup broth if necessary to reach desired consistency.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls. Top with salsa and sprinkle with bacon.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts(Butternut Bisque with Spicy Pear Salsa)
- Per serving:
- 211 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 42 mg chol.,
- 897 mg sodium,
- 31 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 10 g sugar,
- 12 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet