Butter Lettuce and Spring Pea Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette
cups shelled fresh peas or frozen peas
tablespoon snipped fresh dillweed
tablespoon lemon juice
tablespoon cider vinegar
teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
tablespoons olive oil
small heads Belgian endive
large head butter or Bibb lettuce, separated into leaves
Freshly ground black pepper
tablespoons chopped macadamia nuts, toasted(optional)
Chive blossom florets* or snipped fresh chives (optional)
- Fill a medium saucepan with water. Bring to boiling over high heat. Add peas; cook for 1 minute, stirring once. Immediately drain in a colander. Rinse with cold water. Drain peas again and set aside.
- For mustard vinaigrette, in a medium bowl combine dillweed, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, salt, and the 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Slowly add the oil in a thin stream, whisking until fully blended. Add peas to vinaigrette; toss to coat.
- Slice endive in half lengthwise and remove core. Slice endive lengthwise into thin strips. Add endive to pea mixture; lightly toss to mix.
- Arrange lettuce on a platter; top with pea mixture. Sprinkle with additional pepper. If desired, top with nuts and chive blossom florets.
From the Test Kitchen
Break the chive blossom from the stem to get florets.
Nutrition Facts(Butter Lettuce and Spring Pea Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette)
- Per serving:
- 107 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 142 mg sodium,
- 8 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet