Upload your photo here.
Buried Cherry Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Drain cherries, reserving juice. Halve any large cherries. In a medium mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in cocoa powder and as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place balls about 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Press your thumb into the center of each ball. Place a cherry in each center.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan combine chocolate pieces and sweetened condensed milk. Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate melts. Stir in 4 teaspoons reserved cherry juice. (If necessary, frosting may be thinned with additional cherry juice.) Spoon 1 teaspoon frosting over each cherry, spreading to cover.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool on cookie sheet 1 minute. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
From the Test Kitchen
Do not substitute imitation chocolate pieces for semisweet chocolate pieces.
Blondie Buried Cherry Cookies:
Prepare as above, except increase baking powder to 1/2 teaspoon and omit baking soda. Substitute almond extract for the vanilla, omit the cocoa powder, and increase flour to 2 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Buried Cherry Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 101 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 12 mg chol.,
- 46 mg sodium,
- 16 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 12 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet