- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 15x10x1-inch or a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine butter, cocoa powder, and water. Bring mixture just to boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add the cocoa mixture to flour mixture and beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until thoroughly combined. Add eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Beat for 1 minute (batter will be thin). Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 25 minutes for the 15x10x1-inch pan, 35 minutes for the 13x9x2-inch pan, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Pour warm Chocolate-Buttermilk Frosting over brownies, spreading evenly. Cool in pan on wire rack 1 hour. Cut into bars. Makes 24 bars
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above, except add 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon to the flour mixture.
To make sour milk, place 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1/2 cup; stir. Let stand 5 minutes before using.
- In a medium saucepan combine butter or margarine, cocoa powder, and buttermilk. Bring to boiling. Remove from heat. Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Stir in pecans, if desired.
Nutrition Facts(Chocolate-Buttermilk Brownies)
- Per serving:
- 244 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 45 mg chol.,
- 193 mg sodium,
- 35 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 25 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet