Browned Butter Pecan Sandies
cup unsalted butter, cut into chunks
cup chopped pecans
cup powdered sugar
cup packed brown sugar
tablespoons half-and-half or light cream
Coarse sugar (optional)
Molasses or maple syrup (optional)
- Position a rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 350 degrees F. Grease baking sheets or line with parchment; set aside.
- In a medium heavy saucepan bring butter to boiling over medium heat (it will be foamy). Adjust heat so it bubbles gently. Cook, stirring the bottom frequently, until fragrant and golden, about 6 to 8 minutes. Watch carefully to avoid burning. Stir in chopped pecans (it's normal for mixture to foam up). Return to a gentle boil. Cook, watching carefully, for 1 to 2 minutes (if pecans begin to darken, immediately remove pan from heat). Transfer butter-pecan mixture to a large bowl. Cool about 15 minutes.
- Stir powdered sugar, brown sugar, 3 tablespoons half-and-half, vanilla, and salt into the cooled butter-pecan mixture until smoothly incorporated. Stir in flour until fully incorporated. If mixture is crumbly, work in additional half-and-half until it holds together, but is not wet. If mixture is wet, let stand for 5 to 10 minutes more.
- Divide dough into thirds. Divide each third into 12 equal balls. Roll each bowl in coarse sugar, if desired. Place balls about 2 1/2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets; press a pecan half firmly into each. if edges of the rounds crack, just push back together.
- Bake one baking sheet at a time for 10 to 13 minutes or until cookies are just beginning to brown. Rotate baking sheet from front to back about halfway through.
- Transfer baking sheet to a wire rack. Let cool 5 minutes to firm up. Using a wide spatula, transfer cookies to wire rack. Brush pecans on top with molasses or maple syrup, if desired. Cool completely.
From the Test Kitchen
Store at room temperature up to 10 days.
Freeze up to 2 moths.
Nutrition Facts(Browned Butter Pecan Sandies)
- Per serving:
- 117 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 14 mg chol.,
- 34 mg sodium,
- 10 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet