Brown Sugar- and Whiskey- Glazed Ham
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Place ham on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Insert an oven-going meat thermometer into center of ham. The thermometer should not touch bone.
- Bake for 1-1/2 to 2-1/4 hours or until thermometer registers 140 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, for glaze, in a medium saucepan combine brown sugar, cola, dry mustard, vinegar, and pepper. Bring to boiling, stirring to dissolve brown sugar. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until reduced to about 3/4 cup. Remove from heat; stir in whiskey.
- Brush ham with some of the glaze during the last 20 minutes of baking. If desired, garnish with lemon slices and sage. Serve with the remaining glaze.
From the Test Kitchen
Low on brown sugar? Use 1/2 cup honey and 1/2 cup maple syrup instead. In favor of warm spice flavor? When simmering the glaze, add 2 inches stick cinnamon, 4 whole cloves, and 4 whole allspice; discard spices before glazing. For a nonalcohol version, substitute an equal amount of orange juice or apple juice for the whiskey.
Nutrition Facts(Brown Sugar- and Whiskey- Glazed Ham)
- Per serving:
- 265 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 73 mg chol.,
- 860 mg sodium,
- 13 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 13 g sugar,
- 26 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet