Brisket with Ginger Orange Peel and Tomato
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Season brisket with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place 8-quart Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat; add oil. Brown brisket 4 minutes per side. Remove; set aside. Add onions, carrots, and garlic cloves to Dutch oven; cook until just soft, adding more oil if necessary. Add vinegar, stirring with wooden spoon to scrape up any bits in bottom of pan. Increase heat to high. Add white wine; cook and stir 3 minutes, allowing liquids to reduce slightly.
- Return brisket to Dutch oven. Add stock. Bring to a simmer; add tomatoes, thyme, bay leaf, parsley, ginger and leek. Stir in grated peel of 1 lemon and 1 orange. Cover; transfer to oven. Bake 45 minutes. Reduce heat to 275 degrees F; bake 2 to 2 1/2 hours more or until meat is tender. Remove Dutch oven from oven; uncover.
- Transfer meat to cutting board; slice meat on the bias. Using a slotted spoon, remove carrots, onions, garlic and tomatoes; set aside and keep warm. For sauce, strain remaining juices; discard solids. Return sauce to Dutch oven. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened or desired consistency.
- Arrange meat on a serving platter with vegetables. Remove zest of remaining lemon and orange; scatter on top. Top with coarsely chopped fresh parsley and garnish with additional bay leaves, if desired. Serve sauce with meat.
Nutrition Facts (Brisket with Ginger Orange Peel and Tomato)
- Per serving:
- 502 kcal cal.,
- 26 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 11 g monounsatured fat),
- 150 mg chol.,
- 667 mg sodium,
- 13 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 49 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet