The Perfect Waffles
tablespoons granulated sugar
tablespoon baking powder
large eggs, separated
cup butter or margarine, melted
Pure maple syrup, for garnish
Sliced nectarines, for garnish
Fresh berries, for garnish
- Heat oven to 200 degree F. Heat a waffle baker.
- Combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in large bowl.
- Whisk egg yolks in medium bowl until lightly beaten. Whisk in buttermilk and melted butter until blended. Whisk buttermilk mixture into dry ingredients until smooth.
- Beat egg whites in small bowl with an electric mixer until stiff but not dry. Fold into batter with a rubber spatula just until blended. Makes about 6 cups batter.
- Bake waffles in waffle baker* according to manufacturers directions until crisp and golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer each batch directly onto oven rack to keep warm. Repeat. Dust waffles with confectioners sugar; serve with maple syrup and fruit, if desired. Makes five (8-inch-square) waffles or 5 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare and bake waffles. Cool. Freeze in resealable plastic storage bags up to 2 weeks. Reheat in toaster or 350 degree F. oven.
For best waffle removal, use a waffle baker with a nonstick grid.
Nutrition Facts(The Perfect Waffles)
- Per serving:
- 385 kcal cal.,
- 14 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 157 mg chol.,
- 834 mg sodium,
- 52 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 13 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet