Sweet Yogurt Scones
- In a large bowl stir together the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in the margarine or butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
- In a small mixing bowl stir together the egg and yogurt or sour cream. Add the yogurt mixture all at once to the dry ingredients. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Quickly knead dough by folding and pressing dough gently for 8 to 10 strokes or until dough begins to hold together. Pat or lightly roll dough into a 6-inch circle. Using a sharp knife, cut into 6 wedges.
- In a small bowl stir together the 1 teaspoon sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle sugar mixture over the wedges. Place wedges 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake in a 425 degree F for 11 to 13 minutes or until golden. Remove from baking sheet and cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack. Serve warm. Makes 6 scones.
From the Test Kitchen
Orange and Raisin Scones:
Prepare Sweet Yogurt Scones as directed above, except stir in 1/4 cup raisins and 1/2 teaspoon orange peel into the dry ingredients and substitute orange yogurt for the plain yogurt or sour cream.
Nutritional Information per scone: Same as Sweet Yogurt Scones, except: 210 calories.
Nutrition Facts (Sweet Yogurt Scones)
- Per serving:
- 184 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 36 mg chol.,
- 226 mg sodium,
- 22 g carb.,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet