Upload your photo here.
Sweet Potato Biscuits
- Combine mashed sweet potato, sugar, egg, and melted margarine or butter in a mixing bowl. Beat with a fork until smooth. Stir in milk. Set mixture aside.
- Stir together self-rising flour and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of dry mixture. Add sweet-potato mixture and stir just until combined.
- Turn out onto a well-floured surface. Knead gently for 10 to 12 strokes. Roll or pat dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-inch biscuit cutter. Reroll as necessary. Place biscuits 1 inch apart on a large baking sheet.
- Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until the biscuits are lightly browned. Makes 16 to 18 biscuits.
From the Test Kitchen
To make 1 cup mashed potatoes, peel 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 pound total). Cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks. Place in a large amount of boiling water. Simmer about 20 minutes or until very tender. Drain. Mash with a potato masher or beat with an electric mixer.
Cook and mash the sweet potato in a bowl. Cover and chill up to 1 day ahead. Cool biscuits; place in an airtight freezer container or a plastic freezer bag. Seal, label, and freeze up to 1 month. To reheat: wrap frozen biscuits in foil. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until warm.
Nutrition Facts (Sweet Potato Biscuits)
- Per serving:
- 182 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 14 mg chol.,
- 341 mg sodium,
- 24 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet