Sour Cream Biscuits
Make these light and fluffy biscuits plain, sweet, or savory with or without a variety of toppings.
- Yields: 10 biscuits
- Bake: 12 mins
- Start to Finish: 20 mins
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Measure flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir these ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into dry ingredients until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. (Or, crumble the butter in with your fingers.)
- In a small bowl stir together milk and sour cream until mixture is almost smooth. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add the milk mixture all at once. Using a wooden spoon stir just until the dough sticks together.
- Using hands or a wooden spoon, push dough onto a lightly floured surface. Sprinkle a little flour on hands. Gently knead 8 or 10 times or just until dough holds together.
- Pat dough to 1/2-inch thickness. (Or, roll dough with a floured rolling pin.) Using the edge of a clean, floured ruler, cut dough into large diamonds or squares, approximately 3 inches. Place on ungreased baking sheet, leaving about 1-inch space between each biscuit.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Using a wide spatula carefully remove biscuits from baking sheet. Serve immediately. Makes 10 biscuits.
Before baking, you may brush tops of homemade or purchased, ready-to-bake biscuits with melted butter. Add toppers such as mini chocolate chips, chopped nuts, cinnamon sugar, or shredded cheddar cheese and pepperoni slices.
- 154 kcal cal.;
- 7 g Fat, total;
- 18 mg chol.;
- 4 g sat. fat;
- 19 g carb.;
- 1 g fiber;
- 3 g pro.;
- 300 mg sodium;
- 1 mg iron;
- 71 mg calcium;
- 72 RE vit. A;
- 0 mg vit. C
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet