- Makes: 12 servings
- Yields: 1 loaf
- Stand: 35 mins
- Chill: overnight
- Rise: 1 hr
Smoked Gouda and Ale Loaf
cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
package active dry yeast
teaspoon garlic salt
cup stone ground mustard
cup toasted almonds, ground
cup smoked gouda cheese, shredded (2 ounces)
cup applewood smoked bacon or regular bacon, cooked and crumbled
teaspoons caraway seeds, toasted
Nonstick cooking spray or olive oil
- In a large bowl, stir together water and yeast. Let stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat and stir ale, sugar, butter, garlic salt, and mustard just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and butter almost melts. Stir ale mixture into yeast mixture until combined. Stir in flour, almonds, cheese, bacon, and caraway seeds (dough will be sticky). Lightly coat a medium bowl with cooking spray; transfer dough to the greased bowl. Lightly coat a sheet of plastic wrap with cooking spray; cover bowl with the greased plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- Using a dough scraper or spatula, carefully loosen dough from bowl and turn out onto a floured surface. Cover with the greased plastic wrap and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Pat dough into a greased 8x8x2-inch baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 1 hour).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack. If desired, serve with additional stone ground mustard. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts (Smoked Gouda and Ale Loaf)
- Per serving:
- 184 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 12 mg chol.,
- 338 mg sodium,
- 24 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet