- Using 1/2 teaspoon shortening for each cup, grease the bottoms and sides of six 6-ounce custard cups or cups of a popover pan. (Or, lightly coat cups with cooking spray.) Place the custard cups on a 15x10x1-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In a medium bowl use a wire whisk or rotary beater to beat eggs, milk, and oil until combined. Add flour and salt; beat until smooth.
- Fill the prepared cups half full with batter. Bake in a 400 degree F oven about 40 minutes or until very firm.
- Immediately after removing from oven, prick each popover to let steam escape (see photo, below). Turn off the oven. For crisper popovers, return popovers to oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until desired crispness is reached. Remove popovers from cups; serve immediately. Makes 6 popovers.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above, except add 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon with the flour. Continue as directed. If desired, serve with honey and butter or margarine.
Nutrition Facts per popover: 154 cal., 7 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 74 mg chol., 139 mg sodium, 18 g carbo., 1 g dietary fiber, 6 g pro.
Daily Values: 4% vit. A, 1% vit. C, 7% calcium, 8% iron
Exchanges: 1 Starch, 1.5 Fat
Nutrition Facts (Popovers)
- Per serving:
- 159 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 74 mg chol.,
- 139 mg sodium,
- 18 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet