- Using 1/2 teaspoon shortening for each cup, grease the bottoms and sides of six 6-ounce custard cups or cups of a popover pan. (Or, lightly coat cups with cooking spray.) Place the custard cups on a 15x10x1-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In a medium bowl use a wire whisk or rotary beater to beat eggs, milk, and oil until combined. Add flour and salt; beat until smooth.
- Fill the prepared cups half full with batter. Bake in a 400 degree F oven about 40 minutes or until very firm.
- Immediately after removing from oven, prick each popover to let steam escape (see photo, below). Turn off the oven. For crisper popovers, return popovers to oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until desired crispness is reached. Remove popovers from cups; serve immediately. Makes 6 popovers.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above, except add 12 teaspoon ground cinnamon with the flour. Continue as directed. If desired, serve with honey and butter or margarine.
Nutrition Facts per popover: 154 cal., 7 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 74 mg chol., 139 mg sodium, 18 g carbo., 1 g dietary fiber, 6 g pro.
Daily Values: 4% vit. A, 1% vit. C, 7% calcium, 8% iron
Exchanges: 1 Starch, 1.5 Fat
- Per serving:
- 159 kcal cal.,
- 7 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 74 mg chol.,
- 139 mg sodium,
- 18 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet