Add healthy fresh fruit and yogurt to delicious homemade shortcakes to make this low-calorie dessert.
0 did it
- Makes: 4 servings
- Serving Size: 1 shortcake, 1/3 cup berries, 1/4 cup yogurt mixture
- Prep: 25 mins
- Bake: 7 mins to 8 mins 425°F
- For shortcakes, in a medium bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in center of flour mixture. In a small bowl combine buttermilk and egg yolk. Add to flour mixture all at once, stirring just until moistened.
- Lightly coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, pat or roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Using a floured 2- to 3-inch cookie cutter, cut dough into 4 desired shaped shortcakes, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake in a 425 degrees oven for 7 to 8 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a medium bowl beat cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Gradually beat in yogurt and preserves until smooth.
- Divide shortcakes among 4 dessert plates; top with fresh fruit and yogurt mixture. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts (Piled-High Shortcake)
- Per serving:
- 259 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 71 mg chol.,
- 414 mg sodium,
- 37 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 13 g sugar,
- 11 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet