Peppered Bacon, Green Onion, and Buttermilk Scones
slices peppered bacon
cup finely chopped green onions (4)
cup buttermilk or sour milk
egg, lightly beaten
tablespoon baking powder
teaspoon garlic powder
teaspoon cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper
cups finely shredded gruyere cheese (6 ounces)
- In a very large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet and drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon; set aside. Discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings from skillet. Cook green onions in hot drippings until tender; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. In a bowl, whisk together buttermilk and egg; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in crumbled bacon, green onions, and cheese. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the buttermilk mixture. Add remaining buttermilk mixture all at once to flour mixture. Using a fork, stir just until mixture is moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it for 10 to 12 strokes or just until dough holds together. Roll out dough evenly to 1/2-inch thickness. Using a 2- to 2-1/2-inch round cutter, cut rounds from the dough. Place rounds, nearly touching, on prepared baking sheet. Brush rounds with reserved 2 tablespoons buttermilk mixture.
- Bake about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer scones to wire racks; cool completely. Include serving instructions with gift (below).