This yeast bread has the best flavor with freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese.
0 did it
- Makes: 16 servings
- Yields: 1 loaf (16 servings)
- Prep: 40 mins
- Rise: 1 hr 45 mins
- Bake: 35 mins 375°F
- In a large mixing bowl stir together 1 cup of the flour, the yeast, pepper, and salt. Add warm water and olive oil. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping the sides of the bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (8 to 10 minutes total) . Shape the dough into a ball. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface of the dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place till nearly double in size (1 to 1-1/4 hours).
- Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease a large baking sheet.
- Roll the dough into a 12x10-inch rectangle. Sprinkle provolone or mozzarella and Parmesan or Romano cheeses on top of the dough. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting from a long side. Moisten edge with water and seal. Pinch ends and pull slightly to taper. Place seam side down on prepared baking sheet. In a small mixing bowl combine egg white and water. Brush some of the egg white mixture over the top of the loaf. Cover loaf and let rise in a warm place till nearly double in size (about 45 minutes).
- Using a very sharp knife, make 3 or 4 diagonal cuts about 1/4 inch deep across the top of the loaf. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 15 minutes. Brush again with some of the egg white mixture. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes more or till bread sounds hollow when you tap the top with your fingers. Immediately remove bread from baking sheet. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 1 loaf (16 servings).
Nutrition Facts (Pepper-Cheese Bread)
- Per serving:
- 129 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 7 mg chol.,
- 191 mg sodium,
- 16 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet